Admission & Application
- Bachelor of Science degree in physics. Excellent students with a BSc degree in a related subject can also apply.
- Proficiency in English, (e.g., TOEFL 533 (paper-based), 200 (computer-based), 72 (internet- based); or CAE level C; or IELTS grade 6 or equivalent; or English on level B2 of the CEFR; or a certificate showing that the previous courses have been taught in English) or proficiency in German.
For the application to the MSc program in physics, you need the following documents as a pdf-file. In case of admission, original documents have to be presented for the enrollment.
- Short cover letter, not exceeding 500 words. Please indicate in the letter the research directions at our department which you find most interesting and explain why.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Fully filled-in application form for the MSc in Physics at the University of Siegen
- Certificate of the Bachelor of Science degree (see the admission requirements)
- Transcript of university education providing a list of all grades
- Proof of proficiency in English or German (see the admission requirements)
- GRE physics test (as an additional supporting document, but not mandatory)
- Two letters of recommendation, indicating the students ranking in percent (e.g., best 10 %, best 10 - 20 %, best 20 - 30 %) of all students in the subject. If possible, the letters should be sent directly by their writers to the e-mail address mentioned below. We may contact the referees for further information.
For deciding about your application, we may invite you for an interview via skype or similar teleconferencing systems.
If you are in the process of completing your bachelor degree, but have not finished yet, you are welcome to apply. In this case, please explain in an additional statement which courses and exams are missing and when you expect to finish. We will then make a preliminary decision on your admission. Note, however, that the enrollment for the MSc degree at our university requires a completed BSc degree.
Admission for winter semester (lectures starting in October):
- 31st May each year for general applications,
- 31st August for applicants from EU/EHEA countries, if no visa is needed.
Admission for summer semester (lectures starting in April):
- 31st December in the preceding year for general applications,
- 28th February for applicants from EU/EHEA countries, if no visa is needed.
- For students applying for summer semester 2020: If you submit you application before November 30th, 2019, the decision will be made before December 31st, so that you can apply for a MSc scholarship in the House of Young Talents.
You are encouraged to apply earlier, especially if you need a visa for your stay. Typically, it will take about one month to notify you of our decision regarding your admission.
How to apply
Applications including all the documents listed as applications documents (pdf only, preferably a single file) should be sent by e-mail to the coordinator of the international master program:Dr. Matthias Kleinmann
For questions concerning the admission procedure you can also contact our advisors.